Respect your community
There are thousands of students living in University accommodation so being respectful of each other is very important. Please always be considerate of your neighbours, both in the accommodation and in the local community. Quiet Time is between the hours of 11pm and 7am, and 24 hours a day during the exam period. Noise must be kept to a minimum during this time to avoid breaching the University's regulations, and potentially facing disciplinary action.
Here are some top tips to avoid becoming a noise nuisance:
- Use headphones – Whether you’re listening to music, watching TV, video calling a friend, or gaming please use headphones.
- Communicate with your flatmates before inviting people over. They may have an important deadline or lecture in the morning, in which case be considerate.
- Stop slamming – doors, drawers, pans, or feet…! You might not realise you’re being noisy, but sound travels more than you realise.
- Check the clock – Remember, during the hours of 11pm and 7am, and 24 hours a day during the exam period is Quiet Time, so noise must be kept to a minimum.
If you’re disturbed by noise and you don’t know how to deal with it, speak to your Residence Life Mentor. Residence Life Mentors work closely with Security to monitor noise issues, and they can support you in dealing with the matter. If you're disturbed and you need an immediate response, please call Security directly on 0114 222 4085. You can do this anonymously if you're calling about another resident.
- Read Next
- Departmental Welcome Talks with Women in Computer Science Free Squash Zoom Beyond 18-21 Travel Pass Boardgames and Meet with Mentors Freshers '21 @ The Edge Paddock Orientation Tours 2021 Sheffield University Netball Club Meet and Greet Learn to play the Ukulele! Discover Sheffield Trips - September and October Cosmeti Craft Sessions - make your own cosmetics!
- Useful Contacts Internal Support Services at TUoS The Best Restaurants and Bars in Broomhill There's always someone who can help Your guide to the disciplinary process Your guide to all things money! Reporting a maintenance problem Kit Lawrence, Student Conduct Officer Christine Ferst, Student Conduct Officer How to get used to online learning - a blog by Harald Tang