Substance Abuse & Support

a hand holding a cup

The University of Sheffield and Sheffield Students’ Union have a zero-tolerance to drugs policy. 

Residence Life are here to help you to look after your own wellbeing and hopefully prevent you being found responsible for misconduct too.

Excessive alcohol consumption is not an excuse for anti-social behaviour and is treated as an aggravating factor in any University disciplinary case.

Possession or use of any drug or psychoactive substance constitutes misconduct as well as possibly being a criminal offence (see conduct pages for further information).

If you are dealing with a drug problem (or are concerned about someone else), there are a number of internal and external support services that you can access for information, support and advice.

Support at The University of Sheffield:

A good first point of contact is the University Health Service or your GP. For further support, you can approach the University Counselling Service. The UHS and the UCS work in a non-judgemental, confidential way to help you achieve your goals. They do not inform anyone of illegal activity unless there is a clear and immediate risk to someone’s life.

If you are using drugs as a coping mechanism, you can find support information on the University’s mental wellbeing webpage. SAMHS is a great service for students to explore a broad range of psychological support needs in a single triage appointment. 

You might also wish to speak to the Student Advice Centre or your Students´ Union Welfare Officer.

Support in Sheffield:

Drugs and Alcohol Coordination Team (DACT) are specialist practitioners for alcohol, drugs or smoking that offer one-off advice and ongoing support in Sheffield.

Their drug helpline is 0114 272 1481.

They run mutual aid support groups and a needle exchange programme. They also offer a range of support to users’ family and friends

Here are some other helpful websites that offer insightful information and advice on substance abuse:

Further information available here: 

Worried about someone? 

If you are worried about the health or wellbeing of a student at TUOS, you should contact Central Welfare and Guidance on 0114 222 4321 or via email at . 

If you live in University accommodation, please contact Residence Life by emailing about any concerns. You could also speak to your Residence Life Mentor. Mentors are available via Customer Services, and via Drop-In sessions every evening during term time. 

If you are concerned about an issue or incident relating to drugs, please contact the University ́s Security Services on 0114 222 4085 or via email at 

Finally, Adfam support those affected by family members’ substance abuse.

Share with Friends x