Cookie Consent by

Support & Wellbeing

Internal Support Services at TUoS

By AnnabelK 23 Aug 2020

Student Welfare and Wellbeing (SSW) support students experiencing personal difficulties that are significantly impacting on their university experience and their ability to study. SSW also provide a link between the University and external support services. They are based in the Students’ Union building, and students can make an appointment to speak with a member of the team. Email or call 0114 222 4321. Read more about the full range of services that they provide here

Student Access to Mental Health Services (SAMHS) is another popular University support service. If you have concerns relating to your mental health, then SAMHS can help you to access the right support through a single triage appointment. Students access other services (such as counselling) through SAMHS - hence the name. Register online here for a triage appointment which lasts around 45 minutes. During this appointment students discuss their individual situation with an experienced mental health worker. They help students navigate the many support options and together agree on a plan of action, tailored to the student’s needs. Read more about SAMHS here

The University of Sheffield is one of only two universities in the UK to have its own health service, The University Health Service (UHS). The UHS is a National Health Service (NHS) General Practice, focused on student health. As well as the usual GP and nurse appointments, the UHS also offers a nurse practitioner triage service, minor ailment clinics, an Eating Disorder service, NHS screening services, and routine immunisations. In addition to these services, the UHS can also provide some non-NHS services, such as dedicated Travel Clinics, where students can get both NHS and non-NHS vaccinations. Students need to be registered with the UHS to get an appointment. Many students do this as part of the general University registration process during Intro Week. It can also be done here. For full information about the UHS, including how to contact and make appointments, and the most up to date opening times, please visit the UHS webpage

Student Services Information Desk (SSiD) is a one stop shop for information, help, support and guidance online or in person. SSiD aim to coordinate central communications to students and answer the majority of student related enquiries from a single location. As well as being the first point of contact for students who are unsure where else to direct their enquiry, they also provide a range of administrative services - such as Student Status Certificates and Academic Transcripts. SSiD are based on Level 3 of the Students’ Union building where students can visit the desk to speak with a member of staff. Alternatively, email them using this form. Read more about the full range of services that SSiD provides here

If you're an international student experiencing any issues with transitioning to the UK, or you require support relating to your visa application, contact the International Student Support Team (ISS). They provide information and support to new and current international students including: 

● Visa and Immigration Advice 

● Induction and Orientation 

● Settling in, acclimatising to Sheffield and UK culture through welcome sessions, community/student events and packages 

● Queries relating to family life/dependents and language queries 

The ISS team is based in the Students’ Union building. Complete this contact form to access their service. You can read more about the support that the ISS team provides here

The Financial Support Team administers the University's bursary scheme, various scholarship schemes and financial support to students experiencing exceptional financial difficulties. If you're experiencing financial hardship, contact the team by calling 0114 2221319 or emailing Please read more about the support that the Financial Support Team provides here

The Multifaith Chaplaincy is available to every member of the University, of any faith or none. They provide a confidential listening ear on spiritual or other topics, including a group specifically focussed on supporting people who have experienced loss. The large team covers many of the major world faiths, and can offer support and advice about practising faith on campus and in Sheffield generally. Contact whichever chaplains or faith advisers feels most appropriate. The Chaplaincy is based in the Octagon Centre. During term time they are open Monday to Friday, 9:30-5:00. The Chaplaincy can be contacted by calling 0114 222 8923 or emailing Please read more about the Chaplaincy and supporting students of faith here

The Disability and Dyslexia Service (DDSS) provides advice and tailored support plans for students at the University of Sheffield. DDSS support students who: 

● have a specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia, dyspraxia or ADHD 

● have a mental health condition such as depression or an anxiety disorder 

● have a long standing illness or health condition such as asthma, epilepsy or chronic fatigue syndrome 

● have an autism spectrum condition 

● are blind or partially sighted 

● have a physical impairment or mobility difficulty 

● are deaf or hard of hearing 

● have a speech, language or communication difficulty (e.g. a stammer) 

This is not an exhaustive list; any student with an impairment or condition which has an impact on their studies should contact DDSS to discuss what support is available. DDSS is based in the Alfred Denny Building. They can be contacted by calling 0114 2221303 or emailing Please read more about the support that DDSS delivers here

301: Academic Skills Centre based at 301 Glossop Road (opposite the Students’ Union), provides an accessible space for students to explore and develop their learning skills. With a variety of face-to-face and online options to choose from, covering topics relating to all aspects of university study. 301 has something on offer for every student at TUoS. If you're struggling with academic commitments, visit the 301 website and find out what additional support is available. 301 can be contacted by calling 0114 222 9744 or emailing​. ​Please read more about the services on offer here 

The Student Advice Centre is a professional, impartial, confidential and non-judgemental service, providing advice, support and representation to help resolve students’ problems. The Student Advice Centre is part of the Students’ Union, rather than the University. They provide help with Academic, Housing, Immigration, Money and other student Welfare issues. They offer face to face, email or telephone advice sessions. They are based on Level 3 of the Students’ Union Building, can be called on 0114 222 8660, or emailed at See here for further information about the range of services the Student Advice Centre can provide. 

The University of Sheffield Security Services are responsible for keeping students, staff and visitors safe and secure. Their service operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. They work across all University campuses. Security patrol staff provide a first-response service to incidents including alarm activations, noise complaints, and medical emergencies. The team is trained in first aid, mental health first aid, search of person and area, scene of crime preservation, communication skills, cycling proficiency and vehicle training.

In 2018, two South Yorkshire Police (SYP) Officers joined the Security Services. They work under the direction of the University's security services team. Security work as a key link between the University Community and the emergency services. Residence Life Mentors and Security work closely together. Call Security in case of an emergency. For immediate concerns, contact via phone on 0114 222 4085 or in an emergency 0114 222 4444. Please read more about the support that Security provides here.

Popular topics in Support & Wellbeing